Sunday, February 8, 2015

Kids Room Update


After enjoying a nice Christmas break with no housework, I've really slowed down the progress on the house.

However, we were able to finally restore power to the entire house, including the lights and switches in the boys room... with these two new additions - a ceiling fixture, and hardwired smoke alarm. 

And now that we don't have to tromp into the attic anymore (access located in the boys room closet) the boys room (+Eve) is now back to being the most completed room in the house!

The lamp is a little big for the room, but after looking at a few options at Home Depot/Lowes, and not liking any of them... we stumbled on to this clearance display fixture for $10. Sold!  We failed to notice it didn't come with a cross support, but that was an easy add on for $3.

Smoke alarm is the fairly basic.  I had really wanted a voice alarm, as we had a "Fire, Fire, Fire" alarm in our last place... but I can't seem to find a hardwired version.  Maybe next time they'll need to be replaced.  I did get the dual detector kind that is both P/E and Ionic for all three bedrooms. I sort of wish I had picked up dual detector alarms when we had updated in our house earlier in this renovation.

The closet still needs some sort of a storage solution, but I'm just glad to be able to store things in it again.  Not only were we risking getting everything covered in dirt and insulation going through the attic all the time... but we also kept the ladder in there a good bit of the time too.  Much better now that all that stuff isn't jammed throughout the room, and under beds and such.

In the spirit of having a nicer room, we did the final sorting of the Legos (no more Misc. bin!) and broke apart some of their earlier creations taking up table space.

The lego system I built is still holding up really well, and I'm still really glad I made it.


While we were doing our final sorting, we were able to finish up the labels for the bins too.  Yay!  The two small top white bins are room to grow, and the big one is just the flat plates to build on. 

In case you're curious, the small labels read:
Wheels & Tires, Castle Pieces, Doors & Windows , Ramps and Slants, Technic and Mechanical, Small Special Pieces, Large Special Pieces, K'nex, Micro Special  Pieces and finally Plants.


I also set aside a bin for booklets to store under the table.  I put the nice booklets on top.  Many are ripped to pieces already.

Plus, Eve's Lego Friends got an upgraded container too.  She didn't want to keep them in the boys room forever, so it seemed like a good idea to separate them out now.

**** LEGO PLAY BREAK ***

Since I'm a bit of a Lego enthusiast myself, I have to share... one of the coolest purchases we got for Eli's Birthday was Lego Power Functions.  (I'm hoping they lend well to homeschooling too.)



Jon had taught the Lego robotics club when he was a Physics Teacher, so those were well known... but I didn't realize there was a whole other branch of powered Legos that didn't require programming (or quite the expense).  We ordered from Lego.com so that we could also get some of the extras in addition to what came in the box version, like a large motor, extra switches & a remote control/receiver.

Eli and Jon liked them.

...but, I'm pretty sure I liked them the most.  When Eli went to bed the day after he got them... I made this sweet remote controlled car.  It's pretty awesome.

In addition to the power functions, we decided to pick up a new excavator kit for Eli.  It had instructions for how to integrate the power functions, so we thought it would be good practice for integrating motors/switches into Legos.

Which, I think worked, because when he built the second set of instructions for the Tractor he added in the power functions himself (since there were none for that set).
Yay Legos!

***********************
Okay, the Lego play break is over.  Well, we're happy to be making some slow, but steady progress in the house.  More importantly, I'm happy to say one room is very very close to being done.  The only thing we have left on our wish list is hardwood floors, and that is on a distant-when-we-can-afford-it list.  Everything else lands itself on less disruptive, more enjoyable, decorating the house lists.  And I'm happy with that.

Speaking of lists, here's what's finished on the electrical list:
The Electrical Plan
Upgrade all switches to white ones
Upgrade all outlets to white tamper resistant outlets

Remove lightswitch from upstairs hall, and rewire other switch
Add outlet to upstairs hall

Add recessed lights for eve's room
Re-rout switch from outlet to lights
Add extra outlets to Eve's room in key places
Move switches from demo and under window
Add extra outlets to Boys room behind dresser
Add ceiling light to boys room
Re-rout switch from outlet to light

Add smoke alarms to all three bedrooms, wired to the existing hardwired smoke alarms
Add closet light to new closet w/switch
Add outlet for dustbuster in new closet

Add recessed lights in office
Add recessed lights in livingroom
Add extra outlets in livingroom where needed (computer, TV, etc)
Finish coax installation behind TV 
Replace and fix the dimmer switch in dining room.
Some of those left unmarked are about 98% finished, but only require the drywall/paint to be finished so the plate can be installed.  Happy days - we're almost done!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this post and it looks great!

Cassie said...

Thanks!