Friday, May 29, 2009

Fold Over Elastic and Diaper Covers

It varied. I had to get used to working with FOE. The covers with gussets are more time consuming.
Cost: ~$1.50-$3.00 per cover
Links: MamaBird, Chloe Toes
I ordered some Fold Over Elastic from the This-End-Up co-op. I didn’t want to have a big order, since the last FOE I ordered from somewhere else was pretty bad, so I only got 5 yards of white. My mistake! I really like this stuff, it’s really soft and has a good strech. Luckily she threw in an couple yards each of seaspray, dark green and seaspray and brown bubbles. Still I used up my white instantly. I made Elijah two covers (my own pattern) and my friend a newborn cover with the mamabird pattern. Those turned out okay. I only put gussets in the NB one, and because that took some much time I didn't bother for the other two. It was definitely a learning experience for me.
There was a mistake in my CDMF order, so when I had another yard shipped out to me I ordered more white FOE (and seaspray PUL). I already used most of that white up too :) With the coordinating seaspray PUL and FOE I made a cover and two trainers. I wanted to try snaps for a diaper cover, so I used my one-size pattern, and I forget to make it smaller, so unfortunately the cover is a size large and Eli just barely fits in it (although it's still very cute). The trainers were easy enough to make, but both times I made the leg holes way to small so they don't fit well on Elijah either. I used a layer of zorb a soaker on a flannel liner for both.

I also made my favorite cover for Elijah. I made a new pattern using gussets, and a different snapping layout better suited for a cover and sized it to be medium. I was really afraid I wouldn't like it, but it turned out great! Yay, I ended up with something that fit Elijah right!

So my last project in my FOE adventures were two side-snapping covers. For the first one I drafted my own pattern from Eli's measurements and my trainer pattern. The the second one I used the free Chloe Toe's pattern. My pattern was tiny compared to her's (but I didn't find the notice to take and inch off the width until after I had cut the PUL). In the end, both patterns turned out a diaper about the same size. I should have tightened the front waist of the CT pattern more, but that was my fault. The CT diaper has a lot more room for "fluff" than mine, which I don't like, but I do like the stretch on the legs of hers much more. I still have some work on my pattern, but that will go on the back burner since I don't like side-snapping covers much anyway :-/

One thing I am bummed about is the FOE has been getting really pilly when it comes out of the dryer. Many times I find an aplix tab of another diaper stuck to the FOE, even though I folded them in. I so don't like velcro!

Pocket Diapers, Update, and Co-ops

So… It’s been a long time since I posted. It’s not that I haven’t been sewing, but I haven’t really had much new and exciting to post. I've made a few more pocket diapers for our family... Mostly out of desperation. Hehe. I get pretty lazy about washing cloth diapers sometimes and put off doing them until we have no diapers left. And since I had a stack of PUL pre-snapped and micro fleece cut, I would sew them while we waited for the diapers to wash. "Okay Elijah, wear undies until I finish snapping this one" :) It was motivation at least. Anyway, Now that I've made a bunch of diapers, I can say I really like my one-size pattern a lot. It fits well, looks professional and uses the sizing/adjustments/materials I want. Only 10 more diapers to reach my goal of 24, and I'm done! I've also made 4 of them to sell. Plus I've had a couple orders for mamapads and made a few for myself as well. Nothing really worth posting pictures for though (which is what really motivates me to post).

In March we went to Florida to visit my Dad and his parents, and then in April my mom flew to New Hampshire . We had a really good time for both visits. And in the meantime, our camera broke. Luckily it was still under warranty (thank you sister!), but it did take about 6 weeks to get it back. So finally I can take pictures of my kids (and projects) again! Yay! We (mainly Eve) made a scrap book to give to Grandma after she came to visit (using the pictures she took, lol ). I wish I could have posted a picture of that, but I didn't have the camera back in time :(

So, back to diapers... I got my first big order! Twenty diapers! I took some pictures of them after I cut them. The smaller pile is her order only, and the bigger pile is both her and mine combined (26 diapers!). So far I have 3 of her diapers finished and 15 of the PUL cut and snapped. So I still have a bit of work to do, but it's a start. I have to go get some more elastic, hopefully today, so I can get back to sewing these things. I hoping to have them done by Wednesday, which would be two weeks from when she ordered them. I hope I can do it :)

So we decided to try to start a business ( ). It's coming along, but I haven't really had much time to work on the website side of it lately. I have been preparing by buying stuff. I got a bunch of snaps (and I have to get more now because of this big order!), some more PUL, CuddleDry Microfleece (CDMF), and Fold-Over-Elastic. I was very happy with all of it. I'm also excited for my recent co-op orders. I'm ordering a lot of PUL from a great co-op at a low price (it'll be about 6.50 per yard for 2 mil - including fees, stm and sty). I've also got more FOE, aplix and elastic coming, plus I ordered two new things, template plastic and soapnuts. We'll see how those turn out. Unfortunately, the bamboo I ordered had some troubles, so I'll have to wait even longer for that.